Tuesday, September 21, 2010

First weekend excursion...

FRIDAY
Friday night after class our house managers told us that we were having a Mojito party to celebrate the new school year and new roommates... He made a huge bowl of Mojitos and we all drank and got to know eachother. During the party some of our new friends invited us to go to a club after, we wernt going to because we had to be up early for our first excursion in the morning but we knew it would be fun so we decided to go anyway... We got back to the house around 4:30 am on Saturday, slept for a couple hours then packed and headed to our bus.

SATURDAY
The buses were off and luckily our destination was about 2 hours away so we got another 2 hours of sleep on the Bus. We finally arrived to a small city called Úbeda. It was very beautiful and had a lot of culture. Here is a picture of me and alex in front of a cathedral a man specifically designed for himself and his wife to be buried in. Our guide told us that his house was small and he put all his money into this cathedral because really the only thing that was important to them was the Afterlife.
After seeing a little bit of Úbeda, we got back onto the bus and headed up to the Sierra Nevadas. After having to turn around a couple times we arrived to our campground. Me and 3 other girls shared a small cabin together and took a quick nap before our first activity...
For our first activity our tour guides took us on a little hike and did not tell us what we were doing. Then I saw this ropes course that was high in the trees and I almost died ahha. For those of you who dont know, I am really afraid of heights, but I really wanted to do this so I put my fear behind me and tried my best. I was hooked up to a harness and wire so if I fell I would be caught but it still was very hard for me, and I was shaking the whole way. But I did it and I am so proud of myself :) Here are some pictures...





After our tight rope adventure we had dinner, and talked about the next day's excursion. I found out that the next day we would be going canyoneering, I was sooo excited until they told me I would have to jump off a 30 foot cliff into the river, and that there was no way around it. So after that I made up my mind that I was not going and I would go on a hike with other people instead.

SUNDAY
We woke up early to eat breakfast then everyone took the bus over to where the canyoneering was going to take place. As I was watching everyone put on the wetsuits I decided I will just go and suck it up, because this could be the only time in my life I will have the same chance. So luckily they had an extra wetsuit and I was on my way. Now I am SOOO glad I went, it was probably one of the most amazing things I have ever done in my life. We followed the river for about 2.5 hours, down waterfalls, rapids and through pools. The wet suits made the crystal clear water not even feel that cold and the jump was not even that bad. The best part about it was the jump was through a cave, that had vines growing around the opening and that looked like it could have been on the movie "The Goonies", into a crystal blue pool of water that was along side a big waterfall. If anyone has a chance to go canyoneering I HIGHLY recommend it. Thankfully a guy from our group had a water proof camera that he brought along with him so here are some pictures from the trip (Unfortunately there are not many action shots because he was climbing down at the same time as us):






After the excursion we hiked through the Sierra Nevada Mountains back to the bus and went back to our cabins. We had a quick lunch then headed back to Granada. Overall this weekend was one of the most amazing weekends of my life, and I am hoping there are many more to come :). Also after this weekend I am living by the motto "When in Spain" so pretty much I am going to experience everything I am able to because when is the next time I will be living in Spain?!

MONDAY
I had been craving Persian food soo bad, so while I was at class Alex went to the store to buy all the ingredients I needed to make some chicken kabobs and saffron rice. We made an awesome dinner that tasted pretty close to Persian Kabobs. Then, after dinner our new Spaniard friends invited us to play Poker. I was the first one out :/ but its cool, I still got to practice Spanish and Alex lasted until 3rd. With this amazing weekend, Persian food, and Poker, I pretty much can say that I am loving my life in España!!

1 comment:

  1. This is the best part of being a mom. That is, hearing how happy you are and knowing you are making a good life. I'm so proud of your courage to push through the fear and go for it! Hooray!!!!

    ReplyDelete