Wednesday, August 25, 2010

1st night and 1st lesson in Madrid


Our First Night in Madrid
Our first night in Madrid was pretty exciting. After dinner we all got ready and headed toward a touristy part of Madrid called Sol. In Sol we were flagged down by numerous promoters trying to get us to go to their bars or clubs and using free shots as incentives. We finally decided on this one guy who was very persistent and ended up in this posh bar that played subtle house music and had florence lights around the bar and dance floor. Since it was still early the bar was pretty slow so we got our free shots, ordered a couple beers and relaxed.

After the posh lounge we walked around the plaza looking at the buildings and people. We were again flagged down by this guy who was doing a bar crawl with a bunch of British people and asked if we would like to join. We were all really tired (mind you we had only had a 3 hour nap in 24 hours) but decided to anyway because something just attracted us to him, Im guessing it was the familiar sound of English but I don't know. The bar we ended was a British Bar, the atmosphere was covered in paintings and pictures that were obviously British, the draught boasted Newcastle, Heineken and Guinness while the DJ was spinning the USA's top 20 hip hop.

We weren't too fond of the American feel but stayed for a drink because they were cheap. After that we had to run to the Metro because it closed at 2 am and we did not want to get stuck with a cab fare or a long walk home.

And now my first lesson of being in Europe begins...

On the Metro there was a younger guy who was acting really drunk sitting next to us. He got up to give his seat to some of our friends and was acting really weird like he was losing his balance into me because of the moving metro. I was distracted for a second because of the confusion then I looked down and his hand was trying to get into my purse. Instinctively I grabbed his hand and pushed him away. Just then we were at a stop and he ran off. Luckily he did not get anything but it really shook me up and taught me a lesson on how to hold my purse. I think I will pay a lot more attention now.

Okay well thats all for now stay posted for more crazy shiz.

I love and miss everyone :)

2 comments:

  1. What an experience! I am so glad he didn't get away with anything! That is just awful but I honestly am kind of glad it happened so early in the adventure and nothing bad came from it, except some rattled emotions! Thank God you are okay. Always be aware of your surroundings. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S.- Do what your Mom does; that is, don't use a purse! Use a money belt or money bra. :-)

    ReplyDelete