Thursday, August 26, 2010

2nd Day/Night in Madrid


2nd Day in Madrid
Waking up in Madrid is still hard to get used to. The sun is just rising at 8:00am, but the temperature is about 90 degrees out. Unfortunately we are not provided with air conditioning in our dorms so me and alex have been sleeping without any covers on a twin sized bed. I guess it really makes you appreciate the small things the United States provides... ie queen size beds and ac. But Madrid is still amazing.

After waking up and eating breakfast we had to head to our first orientation regarding the program. It was very boring and I was having a hard time keeping myself awake but I guess you've gotta do what you've gotta do.

After the meeting we decided to go on search for some sights to see in Madrid. We took the Metro to the Gran Via which is a pretty popular shopping area. The shopping was awesome but since it was only the second day we were here we did not want too spend money and the heat was unbearable so we ended up looking for another attraction.

Something I learned...
If you dont want to look stupid by asking people what to do in cities you are visiting, you should check out a tourist stand (like the ones that sell souvenirs and the like), all the postcards have the most beautiful sights in the city so it will show you where to go. And by doing so we ended up here....

Plaza Mejor

A very beautiful, and half shaded secluded part of the city. The plaza is surrounded by a building and the only way in and out is through amazing arch ways. We decided to sit down and enjoy an over priced drink to soak in the site and shade. It was well worth it, and definitely one of my favorite things that I have done so far.

After the Plaza Mejor we walked around Sol and shopped. I was able to find a blow dryer for a decent price that works well. I was super stoked on that because my hair was definitely in need of some styling.

Finally, we decided to return to the dorms to have dinner. After dinner we were all invited to play fútbol with some Spaniards living in the dorms. It was a lot of fun, and I got to practice a little spanish with one of the girls. Our first experience with locals :) kind of exciting. While it was fun, the Spaniards seriously dominated us, I think there is a reason why they are World Champions.

After playing/watching fútbol we walked across the street to a place called "Campus Tavern" for some drinks. They were also playing a spread of American top 20 but had a deal for 3 beers for 12 euros which is pretty cheap for Madrid so we decided to take advantage of it. I think the bartender was overwhelmed/annoyed by all of us so he put this song on after he was finished getting us our drinks.
Kind of funny, but I like the song haha

After that we just head back to the dorms and passed out. Overall it was a good day. I still cant believe that I am in Spain. I dont think it has kicked in yet.

1 comment:

  1. Hilarious song and story; I am smiling and laughing. Sounds like you really enjoyed your time in Madrid! Missing you but so thrilled you are blogging. It takes us with you. I love you, Honey! Hope you find the perfect place to live.

    ReplyDelete